An information session on the Downtown Element of the Comprehensive Plan will be held TONIGHT (September 24th), at 5:00 p.m. to provide an opportunity for interested citizens to learn more about the Downtown Plan Update and ask questions.
The City has been working with VIA Architects to update the Downtown Plan. The Plan is a component of Tacoma’s Comprehensive Plan, which is developed in compliance with the Washington State Growth Management Act.
The Downtown Plan has not been updated since 2001. Downtown has changed considerably since then including new housing, the development of the convention center, museums, offices and the LINK light rail corridor. This draft update considers the research and recommendations proposed by Angelou Economics in the recently completed economic development strategy for the downtown.
The downtown plan update is intended to:
- Coordinate land use, transportation, economic development and parking strategies
Create a walkable downtown through application of best practices such as “complete streets”
- Establish urban design principles with an emphasis on the public realm
- Link economic vitality and environmental quality through an awareness of the regional effects of growth management, land use and transportation decisions
- Promote partnerships to promote infill development and link land use policy and economic revitalization strategies
- Foster collaborative relationships among the community, city and “city builders” and encourage property owners to think beyond the property boundary to achieve mutual benefit
- Responsibly increase density while laying the groundwork for creating a high quality environment and retaining Tacoma’s character
The Planning Commission will conduct a Public Hearing on October 1, 2008, at 5:00 p.m. to receive testimony on the proposed Downtown Plan Element of the Comprehensive Plan.
Both meetings will be held in the Council Chambers, 747 Market Street, Tacoma.Written comments may be submitted through October 10, 2008, via (a) U.S. mail to Planning Commission, 747 Market Street, Room 1036, Tacoma, WA 98402; (b) FAX to (253) 591-2002; or (c) e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (enter "Downtown Plan" in the subject line).