Roadway construction on Pacific Avenue between S. 17th and S. 25th Streets is scheduled to on Sunday, August 23rd. According to the City of Tacoma Public Works Department, this section of Pac. Ave. “desperately needs repair and is failing rapidly.”
The primary goal of the Pacific Avenue Improvement Project is to remove and replace both the base section and the asphalt surface of the street. The project will also repair sidewalks, curbs and gutters, where needed.
Constructions will take place between now and winter 2008 in the following stages:
1st Phase: 17th to 21st Street (west side)
2nd Phase: 17th to 21st (east side)
3rd Phase: 21st to 25th including 25th from Pacific to C Street (west side)
4th Phase: 21st to 25th (east side)
The Good News:
- The construction work is scheduled to take place at night between the hours of 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- No construction work will be done at the concrete intersections.
- Angle parking will be maintained within the area during the day.
- Sidewalks will remain open.
- The City and contractor will work with businesses to accommodate delivery schedules.
- No utility work will be done at this time since it was done when the Light Rail was constructed.
- When the project is complete (scheduled for winter 2008) we’ll have a new road and nicer sidewalks
The Bad News:
- The street will be torn up!
- There will be less access to shops, restaurants and other businesses along this segment of Pacific Ave.
- Road construction projects often create a noisy, dirty and inhospitable environment.
- During construction times (9 p.m. to 7 a.m.) the road will be restricted to local and emergency vehicles only.
- BIA sidewalk cleaning service along this segment of Pac. Ave. will be limited for the duration of the project.
The City of Tacoma Public Works Department is holding an Open House for residents and business owners to learn more about the scope of the work, the construction schedule and answer any questions about the potential impacts.
The Open House will be held on Wednesday, August 6 from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Tacoma Municipal Building, 747 Market St., Room 708.
For more information regarding this project, please contact Karrie Spitzer in Community Relations at email@example.com or by phone at (253) 591-5790, or contact Dan Seabrands with Public Works at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (253) 591-5150.